Help

Helped her up (1:31) 

I have been made redundant twice so far. Neither was fun. The first was a structural reorganisation. Apparently the American office did more work in less time than us, so all the work was going their way. The subtext was 'you lot are lazy' though I suspect the reality was 'we don't have to give them holidays'. The second was a form of constructive dismissal, I now think, but I was young and naive and trusting. Both got me on a new track. Both were, in the end, good news.

It is often pointed out, with a wry smile, that Jesus got Peter's mother-in-law out of bed so she could serve tea, which doesn't look like much of a blessing, but I'd have to disagree. Purposeful, significant work is a great blessing. As a middle eastern mum I expect she reveled in feeding up her son-in-law and his friends.

So as we ponder all those whose livelihoods are currently disappearing, we need to hold these two competing truths close by: that in God's economy all things work to the good for those who love him, even job loss, and that job loss is a very difficult thing, causing great harm and anxiety. Oh and to love those in difficulty in any way we can.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together

Silence

First