Recognized

They knew who he was (1:34) 

Many, many years ago, I went shopping with my grandmother in Liberties on Regent Street. I had a penchant for paisley ties for some reason, and I think Granny just liked being in London with her grandson. Near the end of the trip we took a lift down from the third floor and, on entering, were met by an older couple standing at the back. He looked familiar. It was a slow lift and I spent the next few minutes in a lather of indecision. Should I introduce myself and ask where we had met? It is so rude to ignore someone you know. I wimped out, wisely as it turned out, for as they left to go I realised that he was the current Home Secretary. 

One might wonder why Jesus wasn't grateful to be recognized. After all he spent the next three years trying to get his disciples to do so. But no, he forbade the unclean spirits from passing on their secret knowledge. He didn't want good press from bad mouths.

It makes me wonder why we are so concerned about what people think of us; why, as one book title has it, people are so big and God is so small. It is possible to be surrounded by adoring fans and yet be behaving appallingly. Maybe the wisest choice is not to worry what people think but only how God sees us, and he sees with the eyes of Jesus, the shepherd who seeks the lost.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Together

Silence

First