Easy

Which is easier (2:9)

At school I was told that a straight line is the shortest distance between two points. I was even told that this definition stems from Euclid, who wrote that a straight line is the "breadthless length which lies evenly with the points on itself". I was surprisingly pleased to discover in Geography that the shortest distance between two points on Earth is not marked on a map by a straight line but by a curved one (technically the arc of a great circle). This meant that my flight to Chicago crossed the frozen wastes of northern Canada, which was also exciting.

The phrase 'which is easier' can equally have a double meaning. It is easier to say 'your sins are forgiven' because no one will know if they're not, yet for all save God it is impossible to do. It is harder to say 'get up and walk' as failure is a bit obvious, yet it is easier to do, for today a simple hip operation can get you back on your feet. However, like my straight line and my great circle, both lead us the same way. Healing with words is revealing the Word. And, oddly, healing is one of the two miraculous gifts Christ bestows on his disciples. Maybe such healing may still do much revealing.



Comments

  1. I wonder if we heal the troubled minds of our little people with our words?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Silence

Together

First