Being me

To be with him (3:14)

Have you noticed how people naturally imitate others? We pick up strong accents, copy body language, and imitate mannerisms. When I worked for a London church as a toilet cleaner, I noticed how all the senior staff started to sound just like the church's famous preacher. At the time I found it amusing but now it just seems natural.

When Jesus draws his disciples to himself it is with a similar intention. As he travels, speaks, heals, and suffers and dies he wants them with him so they have an example to follow. When we read these stories we often focus on the people Jesus meets, forgetting those he always has with him, who are his main concern.

Is it wrong to imitate another? Well, if it involves pretending to be someone you're not I'm not sure it's at all wise. But to imitate Christ is to become more yourself, not less. I'm not sure quite how that works but there's something about gazing on the likeness of God that sets us free to be the people he has made us, the people we are really meant to be.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silence

Together

First