Wait

Pushing forward (3:10)

I wonder if you have been following all the arguments about who gets the vaccine first. I can't say I've been meticulous about keeping up with it all but practically every time I turn on the radio or click on Facebook some group or other is arguing that they should push to the front of the queue. Now it seems to me that each and every one of them has a good reason to be getting the jab first, but that no one has tried to answer the obvious question: who should get it later? When you push to the front of a queue someone has to wait longer. Indeed in a queue for limited tickets, someone has to miss out altogether. That may not be much of a problem when it comes to a Duran Duran concert, but it's a bit more serious if it means someone misses out on life. 

Now, it's not a time to sit in judgement. When food is offered to a starving crowd it is not surprising if everyone finds a good reason to get it first. We all long to get that vaccination soon, especially if catching the disease carries a significant risk of death. But it may be a good time to ask who I have to push further back in the queue and to be honest about whether my need is genuinely greater than theirs. The British used to be good at queueing. Maybe we need to learn that trick again.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silence

Together

First